Prolonged sitting and staring at the computer screen continuously, not eating healthy food, no exercise or workout results in stiffness, back pain, headaches and eyestrain. The lifestyle we follow and the way we work has an adverse effect on our health. Worried! Don't be as that will only aggravate the problem :). There are ways to avoid health problems. Subtle changes in how you work - and how you feel about work - can lead to a measurable difference in your short and long term wellness.
The below mentioned strategies can fit into even the busiest routine and help you eliminate many of the issues:
1. Stop eating at your desk: - Get away from your desk during lunch. I understand that it feels easy to just eat where you sit but the real purpose of lunch is to give you a break so that you can re-energize yourself. Go for small walk around the block, try your hand on some games in your break room and this will help you to feel calmer, more energetic and focused when you get back to your desk.
2. Pay attention to your posture: - Have you ever thought about your posture while sitting at your desk or when you are taking a call. Back Pain and Shoulder strains are results of not siting properly. You need to straighten up your back, tuck in your stomach and put your feet flat on the floor with your legs uncrossed. This will keep you energized throughout the day as well as not put adverse effect on you body.
3. Mini Workout: - If you have a busy schedule and not have much time to exercise and this is making adverse impact on your health than there are different type of exercises like Elbow Pump and Knee Jerk and Toe Touching which you can try sitting at your desk only.
4. Decorate your desk: - If your work is taking toll over your health and you are feeling exhausted at your workplace try to give a personal touch to your workstation (desk). You can always decorate your desk with motivational quotes and family photographs or other items you like it will help you in reducing stress.
5. Plan for Holiday: - Once in a while plan for a holiday, go for a trip or trekking and take a small break from your work and if you are planning to go on a leave of 3-4 days do not waste it just sitting at your home. Asmall trip will motivate you to work with more enthusiasm as you will be returning to work with new experience and stories to share.
6. Get up and move around: - Make a point of getting away from your desk and moving at least once an hour throughout the day. Get a coffee or tea, refill your water bottle or simply walk across the office to speak to a colleague instead of emailing them.
7. Take your eyes away from computer: - If you spend the day staring at a computer screen, remember to look away occasionally at something else for at least a minute or two - this gives your eye muscles a chance to relax and can help in reducing eyestrain and headaches.
8. Keep yourself hydrated: - Always keep a water bottle near you and keep drinking even if you are not big fan of drinking plan water. Drinking a lot of water will help in detoxification and alleviating headaches.
In our fast-paced life, it has been a norm to sit for long, it can be in office or sitting in our vehicles. We have become habitual of this lifestyle we don't even realize until we suffer from some serious health issues. If you are thinking of changing the way you live for good, you don't always need to go join a gym simple changes in your daily routine can also make big changes.